IALL MEMBERS’ PUBLICATIONS
For any additional information or inquiry, please contact Petal Kinder, the editor.
High Court of Australia
Tel: +61 (2)6270 6922
Fax: +61 (2)6273 2110
- “A Guide to online research resources for the Australian Federal Legal System with some reference to the State Level”, GlobaLex, December 2008. [Full Text]
- “Flagging Resources for a Burning Question. What Sources Exist for Legal Research in Australia?” Presented at the joint Australian Law Librarians’ Association and New Zealand Law Librarians’ Association conference in Melbourne, September, 2006. [Powerpoint]
- “Letter from Australia”, Canadian Law Library Review, Vol. 30, no 5, 2005.
- “The Adoption and Use of Computerised Legal Research Information in Australia”, Canadian Law Library Review, Vol 30. No.2, 2005.
- “Courting Change: The Federal Court’s response to the need to manage information arising from Native Title claims”, Australian Law Librarian, Vol. 11, no. 4, December, 2003.
- Sources in International Law, May 2001, updated 2006, available on High Court of Australia Intranet.
- “From Hairnet to Internet”, Australian Law Librarian, Vol. 4 no. 4 December, 1996.
- “Taught but not Trained – Bridging the Gap in Legal Research”, Australasian Law Teachers’ Association Conference Proceedings, August 1995.
- “Legal Research Teaching at Monash University”, Law Institute Journal, Vol. 69, no. 10, October, 1995.
- “CD-Rom in the Law Library”, Legal Information Management Reports, Vol. 4, no. 2, Spring 1992, pp. 1-16.
- “CJIP assistance to Law Libraries: An evaluation with special reference to the West Indian Case Law Indexing Project (WICLIP).” Paper presented at the 7th Annual General Meeting of the Caribbean Association of Law Libraries, Barbados, July 15-17, 1991. Published in Commonwealth Law Librarian, Vol. 1, no.2, December 1992, pp. 147-156; Commonwealth Law Bulletin, Vol. 19, no. 1, January, 1993, pp. 381-387; West Indian Law Journal, Vol. 17, no. 1, May, 1992, and Bulletin of Eastern Caribbean Affairs, Vol. 18, no. 2, June, 1993, pp. 1-8.
- “Forward steps… The development of libraries in Barbados, 1933-1993”, Journal of the Barbados Museum and Historical Society, XLII, 1994-1995, pp. 160-167.
- “The influence of laser-based media on law libraries.” Bulletin of Eastern Caribbean Affairs, Vol. 18, no. 1, March, 1993, pp.10-18.
- “The role of the Law Library in the Commonwealth Caribbean Community.” Caribbean Journal of Legal Information, Vol. 5, no. 2 September, 1988, pp. 3-5.
- “Celebrating the Past, Embracing the Future: A Select Bibliography of Published and Unpublished Materials Authored and Edited by Members of CARALL (Caribbean Association of Law Libraries) during the period 1984-2005.” International Journal of Legal Information, vol. 34, no.1, Spring, 2006, pp. 31-64.
- “Commonwealth Caribbean Legal Materials: A Select Subject Bibliography.” International Journal of Legal Information, Vol. 31, no. 1, Spring, 2003, pp.67-108.
- Gender-based violence in the Commonwealth Caribbean: An Annotated Bibliography / compiled by Lynda Quamina-Aiyejina and Joan A. Brathwaite. Mona, Jamaica: Centre for Gender and Development Studies, University of the West Indies, Mona, and United Nations Development Fund for Women (UNIFEM), 2005. viii, p.177.
- Women and the Law: A Bibliographical Survey of Legal and Quasi-legal Materials with special reference to Commonwealth Caribbean Jurisdictions and including relevant Commonwealth Caribbean Legislation and Case Material. Kingston, Jamaica: The University of the West Indies Press, 1999. xx, p.347.
- A Comparative analysis of special libraries in four of the Commonwealth Caribbean territories with particular reference to legal and medical libraries. M.Lib. Thesis, University of Wales, Aberystwyth, 1988. p. 291 leaves + accompanying material.
- The Provision of legal information in the Commonwealth Caribbean with specific reference to the UWI/USAID Caribbean Justice Improvement Project: Legal Imperialism or West Indian legal liberalization?
- . M.Phil. Thesis, University of Wales, Aberystwyth, 2003. xxiv, p.282.
- An Index of OECS Unreported Cases 1954-1987. Compiled in co-operation with the UWI/USAID Caribbean Justice Improvement Project. Cave Hill, Barbados: UWI Faculty of Law Library, 1994. xv, p.298.
Head, Law Library
University Library System
The Chinese University of Hong Kong
Sha Tin, NT, Hong Kong SAR
Telephone: 852 2696 1705
Fax: 852 2994 3756
- Hong Kong Legal Research: Methods and Skills. Sweet and Maxwell. Asia. 2007.
- “Legal Research” in Wolski, B.: Legal Skills, a Practical Guide for Students, Thompson Publishing 2006 (2nd edition forthcoming 2008).
- Australian Mining and Petroleum Law Association (AMPLA) Bibliography. (3rd ed) Law Book Co 1994.
- “The Role of the Law Librarian in the Information Age.” 2008/1 Information and Research of Legal Literature 28-32 (In Chinese) A paper presented to the 5th Beijing Law Librarians Meeting November 9th 2007 in Beijing.
- “Telecommunications law with regard to the USO principle in Australia, the United States and Europe.” (1999) 10 (2) Journal of Law and Information Science 184-206.
- “Standards, Co-operation and Rationalisation within Academic Law Libraries.” (1994) 2 (1) Australian Law Librarian 10-16.
- “Australasian Natural Resources Law Bibliography 1992-1994.” (1994) 1(1) Journal of Natural Resources Law and Policy 321-339.
The Hon’ble Judges Library
Bombay High Court
C J P van Laer
PO Box 616
6200 MD Maastricht
Telephone + 31 43 3885110
Telefax + 31 43 3884888
- Bilingual and multilingual legal dictionaries in the European Union: a critical bibliography by Groot, Gerard-Rene de and Laer, Conrad J.P. van. 2005 [Abstract] [Full Text]
- Is the Employed Scholar Free not to Publish? Limitations of Disclosure Rights in a Comparative Perspective, Maastricht Faculty of Law Working Paper 2006-6 (2006). [Abstract] [Full Text]
Erasmus University Rotterdam
- Retrieval of Legal Information in the Netherlands. Conference Paper Legal Information Search in EU, University of Helsinki, 2006.
Bodleian Law Library
University of Oxford
St Cross Building, Manor Road
Oxford OX1 3UR
TEL: +44 (0)1865 271451
FAX: +44 (0)1865 271475
- (Arthur C Clarke we still need you). Trying to predict the future of the Bodleian Law Library. [Abstract]
- “Finding Foreign Law Collections in the UK: The 2007 Flag Update and Questions it Raises for Future Collection Development Policy in the UK by Peter Clinch and Ruth Bird.” Legal Information Management, Vol. 8, No. 2, Summer 2008 [Abstract & Full text]
- “Global Challenges and the Indian Legal System: 26th Annual Course on International Law Librarianship 1-5 December 2007.” Legal Information Management, Mar 2008, pp 59-60
- “A moveable feast – law librarianship in the noughties” in Australian Law Librarian, v.14, No. 4, 2006 , by Ruth Bird [Abstract & Full text]
- “Legislative resources for the United States” in Legal Information Management, 6 (2006). By Ruth Bird [Abstract & Full text]
- “A measured approach. Knowledge Management and Return on Investment.” Paper presented at Knowledge Management in Law Firms Symposium, Sydney, 8 Sept, 2003
- “Implementing a precedents system” – paper presented to Australian Legal Aid Managers Annual Conference, Melbourne June 2003.
- “Information management step by step – a law firm case study” in Professional review, no. 2, June 2002
- “Planning a Legal Resource Centre for the 21st century” in Australian Law Librarian, no. 2, July 2000
- “Asian Legal Research on the Internet” presented at International Association of Law Libraries Annual Course, Melbourne, September 16, 1999
- “Legal Research and the Legal System in Australia” in International Journal of Legal Information, v.28, No. 1, Spring 2000 (paper originally presented at American Association of Law Libraries Conference, Washington DC, July 1999)
Deputy Librarian & Academic Services Manager
Institute of Advanced Legal Studies
17 Russell Square
London WC1B 5DR
Tel: +44 (0)20 7862 5822
Fax: +44 (0)20 7862 5770
- “Should librarians and information professionals be content with current UK copyright law?” Legal Information Management, Vol.8, no.3, Autumn 2008, pp.204-213. [Abstract]
- “A copyright balance? An overview for librarians of current UK copyright law.” International Journal of Legal Information, Vol.35, no.1, Spring 2007, pp.47-62. [Abstract]
- The Intute Foreign, Comparative and International Law Workbook. [Abstract]
- “New and improved training programmes at the Institute of Advanced Legal Studies Library.” Legal Information Management, Vol.5, no. 3, 2005, pp.152-156. [Abstract]
- “Comparison of four premier academic law libraries in the United States and the United Kingdom: the findings of a valuable international placement.” International Journal of Legal Information, Vol. 31, no. 3, Winter 2003, pp.520-433. [Abstract]
- “Laying the foundations for law library co-operation around the world.” Legal Information Management, Vol.31, no. 3-4, Winter 2003, pp.201-203. [Abstract]
- “‘Over there and over here’: some observations on recent reader services developments at four academic legal research libraries.” Legal Information Management, Vol. 31, no. 2, Summer 2003, pp.99-106.
- “caLIM: current awareness for legal information managers web database.” Posted June 17, 2002 on the Law Library Resources Xchange website. [Full Text]
- “Retirement of Jill Newell – a truly professional law librarian.” Amicus Curiae, No. 29, July 2000, p17.
- “Charging for information services at the Institute of Advanced Legal Studies Library.” The Law Librarian, Vol. 30, no. 3, September 1999, pp.169-172.
- “Introducing an automated management system for the document Supply Service at IALS.” The Law Librarian, Vol.27, no. 2, June 1996, pp.111-114.
University of London
Institute of Advanced Legal Studies
17 Russell Square
London WCIB 5DR
TEL: 44 20 7862 5884
FAX: 44 20 7862 5850
- “Virtual legal collections – breaking local and national boundaries.” Australian Law Librarian, vol.11, no.1, 2003
- “The Way of Ignorance.” American Association of Law Libraries Spectrum, vol.8, no.6, April 2004, members briefing 1-4 [Full Text]
- “In celebration of Willi Steiner.” International Journal of Legal Information, vol.31, no.3, LXIII-LXXXII
- Fee-Based Services in Library and Information Centres. Edited with Sylvia P. Webb. Europa, 2003
- Unwrapping crocodiles. Law Librarian vol.30, no.4, December 1999, p.236-239
Foreign & International Law Librarian
Underwood Law Library
Southern Methodist University
Dallas, Texas, USA
- “Building a Chinese Law Collection in the Academic Law Library: Challenges, Alternatives, and Trends.” Legal Reference Services Quarterly, Vol. 25, no. 4, 2006, p.37-69 [Abstract]
- “In-Class Online Legal Research Exercises: A Valuable Educational Tool.” Perspectives: Teaching Legal Research & Writing, vol. 16, 2008,p.112-117 [Full Text]
Foreign & International Law Librarian
Library Liaison to the Public Advocacy Center, & Library Faculty
Touro College Jacob D. Fuchsberg Law Center
Gould Law Library, Room 306
255 Eastview Drive
Central Islip, New York 11722, USA
TEL: (631) 761-7156
FAX: (631) 761-7159
- “One Country, Two Systems’ of Legal Research: A Brief Guide to Finding the Law of China’s Hong Kong Special Administrative Region,” GlobaLex, September, 2008. [Full Text] Co-Authored with Sergio Stone.
- Conference recap, “Report from IALL in India” [& two photos], FCIL Newsletter, February, 2008, pp.1 & 3, [Full Text]
Foreign & International Law Reference Librarian
California Western School of Law
225 Cedar Street
San Diego, CA 92101 USA
Telephone: (619) 525-1497
- Life Science Research and Its Impact on Species Conservation Regulation and Advocacy: The Role of Legal Information Professionals. Paper presented at the 2008 SLA Annual Conference for the Biomedical and Life Sciences Division, [Full Text]
- Recursos en español para ayudar a los estudiantes de la Academia de Destreza en Litigación (2008), [Full Text]
- Conference Review: The Impact of Globalization of Capital on Law Librarians, LEGAL DIVISION QUARTERLY (SLA), Summer 2008, at 8, [Full Text]
- Conference Review: Global Legal Information and You Redux, LEGAL DIVISION QUARTERLY (SLA), Summer 2007, at 5, [Full Text]
- Conference Review: National Indian Law Library Provides Unique Collection to Its Patrons, LEGAL DIVISION QUARTERLY (SLA), Summer 2007, at 8, [Full Text]
- Brief Webography of Ocean Conservation Web Sites, ERMD NEWSLETTER, Winter 2007, at 6-7, [Full Text]
- Saving a Local Coastal Treasure: Research to Support the Conservation of a Harbor Seal Colony in Southern California, ERMD NEWSLETTER, Winter 2007, at 11-12, [Full Text]
- Caring Across Borders: Researching Animal Welfare Issues in North America. Paper presented to the Arizona State University Libraries 2007 Transborder Library Forum (FORO), Tempe, AZ. Feb. 22, 2007. [To be published in the conference’s proceedings.]
- International Environmental Law [CWSL Research Guide] (2006), [Full Text]
- For the Animals: Organizing and Developing the Collection of a Special Library at the Fundación de Protección Animal in Loja, Ecuador. Presented on March 8, 2005 at Foro Transfronterizo de Bibliotecas 2005, La Universidad Autónoma de Chihuahua, Chihuahua, México. In Información sin Fronteras: Compartición de Experiencias Sobre Bibliotecas y Centros de Información. Chihuahua, Mexico: Universidad Autónoma de Chihuahua, 2006.
- Researching the International Regulation of the Protection of Endangered Species, ERMD NEWS, Winter 2005, at 8 & 11, [Full Text]
- Research in the Peaceable Kingdom: A Selected Bibliography on Animal Law from an International Perspective. 30 International Journal of Legal Information 426-453 (2002).
- What Do They Have That We Don’t Have?: A Comparison of Interdisciplinary Collections in Independent Law School Libraries. In 2001-An Information Odyssey: Seizing the Competitive Advantage: 92nd Annual Conference Professional Papers. Washington, DC: Special Libraries Association, 2001.
- Broadening Horizons: The Need for Competency in Interdisciplinary Materials for Academic Law Librarians. In Independence to Interdependence: The Next Phase in the Information Revolution: 91st Annual Conference Professional Papers. Washington, DC: Special Libraries Association, 2000.